Burra Community Dog Park

Burra Community Dog Park

When Redruth was surveyed in 1849 a strip of land on the eastern side was not subdivided in to allotments.  In 1880 this strip of crown land was gazette as park lands. In 1890 trees were planted in this parkland area then known as Redruth Reserve and also in the reserve north of the main road.  In July that year 500 school children planted 400 trees in both areas in an exciting Arbor Day with the planting starting by firing a gun.

L H Foot suggested that this reserve be made into a children’s playground and a committee was formed in October 1923. The land was then  known as Lowe Park.  Carl (Charles) Heinrich Lowe was a baker in nearby Trembeth Street.  He was also a town councillor from 1907-13.  Local individuals donated specific playground equipment. There was a grand opening on 26 December 1923 by the Mayor Maurice Collins who said he would have liked it better had it been nearer to Kooringa; a sentiment echoed by former Mayor E W Crewes who added that  Kooringa would get one as well.  Lowe Park had been leased for 99 years to the Children’s Playground Committee and the Aberdeen Tennis Club whose courts were located south of the playground.

In 1926 Mr George Gallagher sponsored a large children’s sports meeting, continuing a long tradition of supporting sports for children initiated by his father the late James Gallagher who had done so for many years. This annual event continued until 1933. As an example of the popularity of this event in 1931 the Burra Brass Band attended.  There were 36 events and the children were treated to cool drinks, ice creams, fruit, sweets and cakes and the tiny tots received a Christmas stocking.  It was estimated that 300 children and 200 adults attended  Throughout the 1940s and 1950s the playground continued to be used for brass band concerts, pet shows, and Christmas tree parties as well as sports.  By the 1960s the playground equipment had been allowed to deteriorate and despite some attempts by service clubs it never regained its former popularity.

 

Through the whole of this period the southern area was occupied by the Aberdeen Tennis Club which was very active and operated a number of tennis courts and held a popular Easter tennis tournament until its amalgamation with the Kooringa Club in 1973 to form the Burra Tennis Club which moved to new courts at Aberdeen Oval.